Solved - How to exit a telnet session?

How to exit a telnet session?
How to exit a telnet session?
It's funny, but I was fumbling with the terminal to exit a telnet session today. I rarely have to use telnet so I'm not much experienced with it. But if someone ever want to exit from a telnet session this is what you have to do.

Basically when you start a telnet session, this is what you would see most of the times:

~$ telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.


Now what? Pressing Ctrl + c, z, x, d will not do anything. I was too lazy that I didn't pay much attention to what was printed in the console. If I had read that, I would have easily exit the session.

It says:  Escape character is '^]'.

So that's it. You need to press Ctrl + ] keys and it will take you back to the telnet prompt where you can either press Ctrl + D or enter the command "quit" and press enter.

~$ telnet localhost 80
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.


One thing to note is that I use Terminator as my terminal emulator and this method doesn't work in it. I Still can't exit from that (: But this definitely works in the gnome terminal.

I hope this will help someone :) Please don't forget to leave a comment if you ever come across this post. Feel free to correct me or add any methods you know other than this.

0 comments :

Post a Comment